These are said to be dessert waffles, but we have them for breakfast!
- 1 ½ c all-purpose flour
- ¾ c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ⅔ c firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 c dark molasses
- ⅔ c vegetable shortening, melted
- 1 c milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Optional topping 1 - Cream cheese glaze:
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 3 - 4 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional topping 2:
- Cinnamon maple syrup (see directions below)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Whisk together all dry ingredients except brown sugar in a mixing bowl until completely blended.
- Add the brown sugar, molasses, shortening, milk and egg yolks. Beat until smooth.
- In a separate, clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. (Easiest to do with an electric mixer.) Gently fold into the batter.
- Bake the waffles in a seasoned electric waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions.
- For cream cheese glaze:
- Place cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until well blended and fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla and whip until light...add more more if needed to make easier piping. Pipe glaze over the top of the waffles (can put in a resealable bag and cut off a tip).
- For cinnamon syrup:
- Heat 1 cup of maple syrup in a small sauce pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp cinnamon. Serve waffles with syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Cream cheese glaze recipe is from here: www.grapearborbandb.com/recipe/gingerbread-waffles-with-c...
- Cinnamon maple syrup recipe is from here: www.lecremedelacrumb.com/gingerbread-pancakes/#wprm-recip...