From her recipe, Linguine with Chicken Ragu www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/linguine-...
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste.
- (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)
- Yield: 2 quarts