Creamy Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried rosemary, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground sage
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 7 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 14 oz mushrooms*, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups vegan soup stock
- 1 cups vegan unsweetened milk
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced or cut into half-moons
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 7 oz chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed pot , heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add the mushrooms and cook for 8 to 9 minutes, or until cooked and caramelized in spots.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, cooking for another few minutes or until the moisture has mostly evaporated and the mushrooms are glazed. Place the mushrooms on a plate for later.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the remaining 5 tablespoons of oil. When shimmering, add the onions. Cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, oregano, rosemary and sage, cooking for 30 seconds. Deglaze with the wine, cooking until most of the moisture is cooked off.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring frequently for 2 minutes to cook the flour. Pour in 2 cups of broth, whisking constantly to prevent flour lumps from forming, until the mixture thickens.
- Add the rest of the broth, milk, celery, carrots, and rice and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for as long as directed on the rice package - this will vary depending on the blend you’re using.
- At the end of cooking, add the kale. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the kale is bright and softened. Stir the mushrooms back into the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.