Instant Pot Champurrado (Mexican Hot Chocolate)
~Recipe from Luis Morales
- 3C water
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1-2 tablets Abuelita chocolate (your preference on chocolatiness)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- PIP (Pot In Pot) is best.
- Make sure PIP pot/bowl is big enough to allow for foaming.
- Add all ingredients through nutmeg to PIP pot/bowl and stir
- (add tablets after stirring).
- Put liner in cooker, add 1C water in bottom.
- Put trivet inside liner and place PIP pot/bowl on trivet.
- Cook on Manual for 5 minutes
- Natural Pressure Release at least 5 mins before releasing pressure.
- Open lid, add cornstarch and stir.
- Replace lid and let carryover heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir.
- The idea is to introduce air into the liquid.
- This is traditionally thick with espuma (foam) and very rich.
- Traditionally the espuma is made with a "milonillo" (pic included) but whisk will do.
- The milonillo is twisted back and forth between your palms in the Champurrado
- like you're starting a fire.
- If you reallllly want it especial give a shake of cayenne pepper and stir....... trust me