Instant Pot Chocolate Haupia Cheesecake
Recipe from Renaisa Law / Hawaiian Airlines
- 1½cups crushed graham crackers
- ¾ cup medium chopped macadamia nuts
- 7 tbs melted salted butter
- 2 tbs sugar
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 3 tbs sugar
- 3 tbs sour cream, room temp
- 1 egg, room temp
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut extract (optional)
- 1 can (14oz) coconut milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- TOPPING (optional):
- Shaved Chocolate Toasted Coconut, Flakes Finishing Salt, Whipped Cream
- Turn oven on for 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Put mixture in greased springform pan and use hands or cup to pack crust in.
- Bake crust for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- Microwave heavy cream for 1 minute. Mix in sugar until dissolved.
- Add heated cream to chocolate chips and cover with plastic wrap for 3 minutes.
- Discard plastic and mix until smooth.
- Spoon chocolate onto the crust and spread slowly as to not break the crust.
- Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Cream together cream cheese and sugar until fully incorporated using hand or stand mixer.
- Stir sour cream, vanilla extract & coconut extract until smooth. Pour sour cream mixture into cream mixture and mix for another minute.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, mix egg into filling mixture until fully incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour filling into cooled chocolate crust & cover with a foil.
- Pour 1 cup of water in IP and place trivet and cheesecake in IP. Manual cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Once completed, allow to natural release for 10 minutes, then remove from IP and allow to cool as you make the haupia.
- HAUPIA CREAM:
- In a medium sauce recipe pan, heat coconut milk, sugar & heavy cream. Cook until boiling.
- In a bowl, mix the water and cornstarch and create a slurry. Once coconut mixture is boiling, add slurry and lower temp to low.
- Allow haupia to simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mix in coconut extract and remove from heat. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pot.
- FINAL ASSEMBLY:
- Once cheesecake & haupia has cooled for 5 minutes, add haupia to the top of the cheesecake.
- Allow cheesecake to cool in the fridge for 1-2 hours to firm.
- Once firm, use a knife to run through the edges of the cheesecake to help loosen it from the pan. Carefully unlatch the springform to avoid breakage.
- Add toppings, if any.
- Serve & enjoy.
- Do not over mix the filling. This recipe makes a dense cheesecake. You want to avoid adding too much air by over mixing.
- The macadamia nuts can be finely chopped if preferred. I personally enjoy seeing the pieces of macadamia nuts in my crust.
- I recommend using salted butter for the crust or adding 1⁄4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter to balance out the sweetness.
- It is important to have all filling ingredients at room temperature to avoid any lumps & ensure a smooth, creamy texture.
- Alternatively for the crust, instead of baking it, you can freeze for 20 minutes. However the crust will not be as crunchy and will not have a golden color.
- This is truly a labor of love. It has multiple factors into creating it, but it’s well worth the effort.