Instant Pot Chicken Biryani
- 1 whole chicken, cut into small pieces
- 3 cups basmati rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 cups fried onions
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 3 pods black cardamom
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 6 cloves
- 8 green cardemom pods
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- ¼ cup ginger garlic paste (half each ingredient)
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- 5 to 6 split green chiles (serranos)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 to 3 T oil
- 3 T red chili powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 T ground cumin
- 2 T coriander
- 1 T garam masala
- 2 tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients except for basmati rice and add to chicken pieces to marinate.
- Marinate 30 minutes, as rice soaks.
- Turn IP onto saute more, adjust temperature to low.
- Put chicken with marinade into pot, and saute for 5 minutes with pot lid (not IP lid) on top.
- Turn off saute mode, turn on manual, set to 10 minutes. Close IP lid, and set vent to venting mode, not pressure.
- Add soaked rice and spread over the top of chicken and sauce. Do not mix in.
- Add 3 cups of water, close lid, turn on manual mode. Set to 6 minutes, and cloes vent to sealing.
- Quick release pressure, remove lid, and serve, going straight down to get a portion of chicken with rice.