Nana's Pasta Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 whole garlic bulb, peel and minced the cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves ( if useing fresh 1/4 cup finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon herb de provence
- Himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 jar marinara sauce (optional)
- 2 bay leaves remove before serving (optional)
- 3 cans 28oz. each tomatoes (which ever ones you like)
- 2 cans 8oz. each tomatoe sauce (not needed if using the marinara sauce)
- 3 cans 6oz. each tomatoe paste
- Other Optionals add-ins
- 2 lbs meat of your choice ( can add more if you like)
- 1 cup white wine, dry red wine or broth add after the onions and garlic and let it reduce by half
- A pinch of red pepper flakes add in step 4
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme add in step 4
- 2 tablespoons sugar add in step 4
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms (slice) add in step 4
- 1 jar marinara sauce add in step 4
- Heat the olive oil in a medium size pot over medium- high heat.
- Add onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce,marinara sauce if using, oregano, basil, bay leaves, thyme,
- herb de provence and pink salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer on low heat for 2 hours or longer if you like, Just make sure you keep a close eye on it.
- Serve over pasta with grated Parmesan cheese
- If you like you can freeze this into smaller portion sizes.
- Optional: If you like this can be done in slow cooker cook on high about 4 hours or low for about 8 hours
- I like to start mine on the stove top for the flavor to blend. After about 1 hour and tasting to make sure that I don't want to add more spices I'll move it to my instant pot and use the slow cooker setting for 6 to 8 hours. I like that when the time is up it turns to the warm setting or me.
- Use this sauce for
- Spaghetti with a meat sauce
- Pizza sauce
- Just to name a few