Instant Pot Black Beans
~by Josie Smythe
- 1lb dry black beans
- 5 cups broth (or water)
- *Seasonings of your choice. I used:
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Mediterranean Seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Rinse beans & remove any rocks or shriveled beans.
- Add beans, broth and seasonings to pot (except salt*), stir.
- Cook on High Pressure (Manual or Pressure Cook) for 25-30 mins*;
- 15 min Natural Pressure Release.
- Check beans for doneness-if not soft enough cook a few more minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- *You can cook the beans in broth or water without any seasoning, or season any way you like.
- *I was taught that salt and tomato sauce can prevent beans from getting soft so I add after cooking.
- (not sure how true this is but I follow this advice anyway)
- *We like our beans pretty soft so I cook mine for 28 mins. Adjust the cook time to suit your taste.
- Beans freeze really well. I portion mine out for freezing.
- 1lb of dry beans makes approximately 6 cups of beans.
- A 15oz can of beans (drained), contains approximately 1.5 cups or 9oz of beans.