Healthy Tuscan Bean Soup
- 1 cup dried borlotti or cranberry beans, or 3 cups shelled fresh borlotti or cranberry beans (about 4 lb. unshelled)
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage or 1 small bunch cavolo nero (see note above), about 1 lb.
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced or chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, or more, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 day-old coarse country bread slices, each 1 inch thick (optional)
Never lose a recipe again, not even if the original website goes away! Use the Copy Me That button to create your own complete copy of any recipe that you find online. Learn more! It's free!