Spicy Slaw and Sloppy Joe’s - Vegan
- 3 Cups shredded cabbage
- 2 Roughly grated carrots
- 1 Sweet apple, sliced matchstick-style
- 1 Jalapeño, sliced matchstick-style
- ½ Sweet onion, sliced thin and halved again
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lemon and zest from half of it
- 3 Tbs (scant) Tahini
- Cayenne and cracked pepper to taste
- ½ Cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein)
- 1/2 Cup boiling-hot water
- 1 Can navy beans
- 1 Can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 Jalapeño, chopped
- ½ Each, red and green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ Sweet onion, chopped
- ¼ Cup tomato paste, maybe more if needed
- 2 Tbs light agave, maple syrup or brown sugar
- ½ tsp Liquid smoke
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbs dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Buns, baguettes or sandwich rolls
- Sweet or spicy pickle relish, optional
- Combine all Slaw ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix sauce ingredients in small bowl, heat slightly in microwave or in a pan, if needed to help tahini blend. Dump over slaw and mix well.
- Mix TVP and water, set aside for five minutes.
- Dump the rest of the ingredients, except tomato paste, into a pot, turn heat on medium and add the hydrated TVP. Mix well and let come to a good bubble. Turn heat down a little and add tomato paste until it thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings. Let simmer on very low heat while bread is toasted.
- To serve, top toasted buns or baguette slices with sloppy Joe, then slaw. Some might even like a dollop of sweet relish on top of that mountain of goodness.