This classic sauce takes its spiciness from black pepper and dried chiles and its depth of flavor from guanciale, Italian salt-cured pork jowl. If you can't find it, use pancetta, which is available at better supermarkets.
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. thinly sliced guanciale, pancetta, or chopped unsmoked bacon
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. can peeled tomatoes with juices, crushed by hand
- Kosher salt
- 12 oz. dried bucatini or spaghetti
- ¼ cup finely grated Pecorino (about 1 oz.)
Never lose a recipe again, not even if the original website goes away! Use the Copy Me That button to create your own complete copy of any recipe that you find online. Learn more! It's free!