Mexican Pasta Surprise
from Mary Mcdougals 2 pot meals
- 8 ounces brown rice or whole wheat penne pasta
- ¼ cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ¼ cups enchilada sauce
- ⅓ cup shredded soy cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup tofu sour cream
- Place a large pot of water on to boil and cook pasta according to package directions, just until barely tender. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the water in a large non-stick pan. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the green chilies, mix well, then stir in the chipotle powder. Add the tomatoes, beans and enchilada sauce. Mix well and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the cooked pasta and mix well. Ladle mixture into a covered casserole dish. Sprinkle with the soy cheese, if desired. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Serve with the cilantro and sour cream to spoon over each individual serving.