Black Beans and Rice with an Egg
This was made up of fridge leftovers and it turned out really good.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ¼ cup chopped green onion (white parts, save greens for garnish)
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- ¼ cup black beans (canned, drained)
- ⅓ cup cooked white rice
- ¼ teaspoon Cajun Spice
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up a small skillet with the butter. When the butter is melted add the white parts of the green onion (or shallot ), peppers, Cajun Spice, and saute until slightly charred. Add the black beans and heat until warmed through. Add the rice and saute until it's all done and warm. Taste for salt and pepper. If your Cajun seasoning has salt you probably don't need more. Add other things like garlic powder if needed. Place in a bowl and keep in the microwave until ready for it.
- Wash out the pan and re-heat it. Add cooking spray and egg. Cook until it's done the way you like it.
- Check the rice, and zap it a little if need be. Otherwise, just slide the egg onto the rice mixture. Garnish with the green onion (green parts) and a little more Cajun Spice.