Kevin Belton's Dirty Rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1/2-pound chicken livers
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat and add the pork and livers. Saute until browned, about 10 minutes. Add vegetables and saute until browned, about 10 minutes. Add vegetables and saute until browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder and oregano and stir. Allow the mixture to continue to cook and the meat to stick to the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of the broth and cook down, about 10 minutes.
- Add rice, remaining broth, and green onions. Continue to cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.