- 5 lb brisket
- 2 teaspoon salt (or salt substitute)
- ground black peppercorns, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, peeled (not from a container of peeled garlic)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3-5 onions, halved, peeled, sliced
- 1 10 oz can pureed tomatoes
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 6-8 carrots, peeled, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Heat the oil in a large roaster. Season the brisket with salt and pepper, and rub the garlic clove all over it. Brown the brisket on both sides, remove from the heat.
- Place the onions in the bottom of the roaster and lay the brisket on top, fat side up. Add the tomatoes, red wine, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary. Cover and bake for about 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- Uncover, add the parsley and carrots, bake for 30 minutes. Check the flat with a fork, bake until it is fork tender.
- Refrigerate overnight:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove all fat from the cooled brisket. Place it on a cutting board with what was the fat side down. Slice against the grain and lay the slices in a large casserole. Remove any fat from the top of the juices. Warm the juices, and pour it over the sliced beef. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.