Apple pie filling for turnovers by Rich Lum
- 6 apples use your favorites, I used 2 Fuji, 2 Granny Smith and 2 Gala
- 2 pears, I used Bartlet
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, I used homemade IP vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 4 pats of butter
- Pie dough
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- 3/4 cup (a stick and a half) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- 1/2 cup of all-vegetable shortening (8 Tbsp)
- 6-8 Tablespoons ice water
- Store bought pie dough
- Turbinado sugar...to sprinkle on top..I used Hawaiian raw cane sugar
- Peel and core the fruit
- Cut fruit into bite sized pieces, add to your pot
- Add all the spices, lemon juice, extract and top with the pats of butter
- Close and seal your pot
- Set your pot to Manual 1 minute
- Do a controlled QR...short bursts of steam
- Remove pot and set it in the sink filled with ice and water to quick cool the mixture
- Make your dough and cut into rounds
- Place heaping tablespoons of filling onto the dough and seal
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Place turnovers onto a foil lined cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Sprinkle each one with the turbinado sugar