Vegan Black Organic Corn Chip Nachos
There's a Vegan restaurant in Cincinnati (Rooted Juicery) that makes these nachos. This is my version. Very nice version with walnuts (Omega 3s), Organic Chips and Organic Beans and a light cashew cheese (more of a crema).
- "Meat" Ingredients
- 2/3 Cup of Walnuts (toasted for a couple of minutes in oven adds more depth)
- Can of Organic Chick Peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup of Instant Brown Rice, Cooked and set to cool
- 2 to 3 TBS of Organic Tomato Paste
- 1/2 of an onion, sauteed in Coconut or Olive Oil
- 8 to 10 Pitted Dates
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ancho Chile Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 TBS of Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- Pickled Red Onions (Better if Made in Advance)
- One Large Red Onion
- 3 TBS Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 TBS Organic Sugar (or Organic Brown Sugar)
- One Can of Organic Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- Jar of Favorite Green Salsa (Tomatillo Salsa)
- One Large Avocado
- Juice of a half of Lime
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/3 of a Tomato (or a TSP or 2 of Red Salsa or you could use some of the Green Salsa)
- 1/4 Red Onion diced finely
- Cilantro to taste (either fresh or dehydrated)
- Sea Salt to taste
- Cashew Cheese (Sour Cream/Crema)
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews (soaked for an hour or soaked and heated up in a microwave for 30 seconds and then soaked for at least a half hour).
- Juice of a Lime
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Coconut or Nut Milk (unsweetened)
- Salt to taste
- Organic Black Corn Chips (we use Kroger's - they use Organic Oil)
- Cilantro / Lime for Garnish
- Take your Red Onions (for the Pickled Red Onions) and dice. Put the Vinegar and Sugar in a cup and microwave until dissolved and pour on top of the Red Onions and put in fridge for later (make in advance). Stir a couple of times throughout the day.
- Take all of your ingredients for the "meat" except the oil and pulse in a food processor. Don't blend too much or you'll have mush. Just pulse it. Once done, take the ingredients and put in a sauce pan and sautee with the Olive Oil or Coconut Oil. The more this cooks, the better. Don't let it burn, but heat it on medium heat and don't stir too often. The more this cooks, the more it looks like meat and has that meat texture.
- For the Guacamole, half and pit (and scoop) the avocados and add the other ingredients in a large bowl. Use a fork to mash until slightly chunky and set aside.
- Heat the Black Beans in the microwave until heated.
- Take the Sour Cream (Crema) ingredients and blend in a food processor. You want the consistency of a real sour cream, it should stick to a spoon but not be totally stiff. Like a soft peak whip cream.
- Layer your chips, "meat", black beans, Pickled Red Onions, Salsa and top with Guacamole and Crema. Garnish with Lime wedges and fresh Cilantro leaves.