by Yayoi Stanford
- 1 package (8oz/226g) of cream cheese, soften at room temperature
- 200 ml milk (or heavy whipping cream or 1/2 milk & 1/2 heavy whipping cream if you like it rich)
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 60g granulated sugar for cream cheese mixture
- 20g granulated sugar for meringue
- 40g cake flour
- 10g corn starch
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or rum
- 4-5 Tbsp apricot jam & 1tsp water
- Butter to grease the pan, soften
- Powdered sugar to dust the pan
- Take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator for up to two hours in advance.
- Lightly grease a 7-inch cheesecake pan with butter, line the bottom and sides with parchment paper, grease the parchment paper with butter and dust with powdered sugar to prevent cracks on the top.
- Wrap the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil to prevent water from getting in.
- Shift cake flour and corn starch together.
- Make meringue: Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Beat the egg whites in a bowl with an electric hand mixer for about 30 seconds, then add 60g of granulated sugar 1/2 at a time, continue to beat until stiff peaks forms. (It can be tested by carefully flipping the bowl up side down and see if they still stay firm.) Keep the meringue in the refrigerator until it is needed.
- In a different bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth using the same electric hand mixer. (The attachments do not need to be cleaned as long as they are used for meringue first.) Beat in 20g of granulated sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, lemon juice and milk (or heavy whipped cream) respectively.
- Add shifted cake flour and corn starch all at once and mix well until very smooth.
- Take 1/3 of meringue with a whisk and mix it in until smooth.
- Very gently hold in remaining meringue with the whisk 1/3 at a time until there is no lumps.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan. Cover the top with aluminum foil, try leaving some space so cheesecake will not touch the foil in the pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water in Pressure cooker pot.
- Make a foil sling, (By folding it in a half lengthwise twice.)
- Place the foil sling on a trivet, then carefully place the cake pan on the sling and trivet. Carefully place them in the pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid on, make sure the steam release handle is pointing at "sealing." Press "manual" and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. When it is done, turn it off and then allow all pressure release naturally.
- Carefully take the cake pan out with the foil sling. Let it cool until it is OK to touch. Take the foil covers off. Lightly cover the cake pan with kitchen paper, then cover it with new aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Keep it in the refrigerator for overnight or at least 6-8 hours.
- Mix apricot jam with water (strain the mixture with a small strainer for smoother texture). Heat it in a small pan to make apricot glaze. (It can also be prepared in a microwave). Cool it completely. Glaze the top of the cheesecake.
- Note: This is a very light, moist and fluffy cake recipe. Also, it is a lot less sweeter than the most of cakes recipes in the U.S. To increase the sweetness,top with more glaze or powdered sugar (even blueberry sauce, pie filling, etc.?)
- I used Large eggs, but they were slightly smaller than usual. (Costco's organic eggs)
- You can also use 3 large egg whites and 4 large egg yolks.