Eggplant Meatball Subs with Spicy Marinara Sauce
The good ole sloppy meatball sub
- For the Meatballs:
- 3 cups diced eggplant
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup amaranth
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon EVOO
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 baguette cut into 2 sections
- For the Spicy Marinara Sauce:
- 1 can unsalted, diced fire-roasted tomatoes with liquid
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 °F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread eggplant chunks on sheet and spray with EVOO, drizzle with tamari. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss to fully coat. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through. When they are tender and caramelized, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine the amaranth and broth into a small pot, cover. Bring to boil and then reduce the heat and crack the lid just a hair. Simmer until the liquid has cooked away, 10-15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Also, while the eggplant is in the oven, heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent. Remove from heat.
- Combine the eggplant, onion and garlic, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, and liquid smoke in a food processor. Pulse just a few times until it is broken up and mushy, but still a tad chunky.
- Add the eggplant mixture and chickpea flour to the cooked amaranth and mix. Use a tablespoon or ice cream scoop to scoop about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into your hand. Shape into a ball and place on the same parchment-covered baking sheet you used.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the meatballs feel solid and slightly browned.
- Make the sauce by combining the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, sriracha, and basil for 10-15 minutes. Use an immersion blender to pulse.
- Place on the bun and drizzle with sauce!
- Top also with Macarella.