Punjabi lobia (Black-eyed peas)
From Regional Indian Cooking (pg 55) by Ajoy Joshi and Alison Roberts
- 220 g dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
- ½ tsp tumeric
- ⅓ c veg oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ⅓ c plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Simmer peas with tumeric over medium heat until tender (20 to 30 minutes). Set aside
- In a large frying pan heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until softened (10 to 15 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and chili and cook until fragrant (2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in tomato and cook until softened (10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, mixing well.
- Add cooked peas and toss to heat.