- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes and juices
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 20-25 frozen Italian meatballs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10-12 ounces dried cheese tortellini
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1-2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves (optional)
- shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add oil. When hot, add onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and saute another minute, then switch Instant Pot off.
- Add all other ingredients except the cream, spinach and cheese. Set to manual high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick release when pot beeps, then add the cream and spinach if desired and stir well.
- Serve with shredded parmesan cheese on top.
- This recipe was adapted for the Instant Pot from spicysouthernkitchen.com/meatball-and-tortellini-soup/
- If you would rather use fresh or frozen tortellini, adjust the amount of beef broth down to 2 cups and cook for 3 minutes on manual high pressure, quick release. You can also omit the tomato paste as well, if you'd like.