Boiled fruits cake
- Boiled Fruit Cake
- 8.8" or 22 cm round tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- Line the sides with brown paper and then a layer of greaseproof paper.
- 500g raisins, chopped and pecan nuts
- 250g sultanas
- 125g currants
- 100g glaced cherries, chopped
- 250g butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- Put dried fruits, butter, water, brandy and sugar in a pot and cook on low heat.
- Pour into a bowl to cool. (Best to leave overnight.)
- Once fruits are cooled, add eggs and shifted flour and baking soda, and mix well.
- Pour mixture into the tin and make sure the cake is even on the top.
- Decorate with pecan nuts.
- Bake at 140C for 3 hours.
- Remove cake from oven and brush with brandy and allow it to cool completely in the tin.
- To keep the cake moist, once it cooled, take the lining paper off and wrap with foil. Store in air tight container.