- 1 lb pinto beans, sorted and soaked for 8 hours and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups broth/water to cover beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- garlic powder (to taste)
- dried oregano (to taste)
- dried sage (to taste)
- salt pepper (to taste)
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes
- Put ham bone in pot with onions.
- Put soaked/rinsed pinto beans in instant pot
- Add broth/water (Should cover beans by about 1 inch)
- Add 1 tbsp oil
- On your Instant Pot, select the “Bean/chili” mode. Set the top knob to “Sealing” and not “Venting”.
- Let pressure release naturally for at least 20 minutes, then instantly release the remaining pressure.
- Open lid carefully, remove ham bone from pot. Remove any ham that is still attached to the bone and put it back into the pot.
- Add tomatoes, herbs/spices.
- Using the saute mode on low let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to thicken and let flavors blend . Serve warm.