Salmon and Vegetable Rice Bowl
Seared Salmon served over a bed of cabbage and carrots all on a bowl of rice and draped with a delectable sweet and sour spicy sauce. This is an original recipe.
- Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of garlic minced
- 3 Med. Carrots, grated or cut into match sticks.
- 1 sm. bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 lb. fresh salmon fillet with skin on
- 2 Tbsp Tonkatsu sauce
- 2 Tbsp Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Mirin (Chinese sweet wine)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Cups Jasmine Rice
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a small pot add rice and water and cook rice according to package instructions. Cook until done, remove from heat and set aside.
- While rice cooks, heat a drizzle of Olive Oil in pan over Med. High heat. Add cabbage and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly softened. Add garlic and stir until fragrant and veggies begin to brown a bit. Add Mirin and combine. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Wipe pan used to cook veggies and heat to Med. High heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Pat salmon dry with kitchen paper and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add to pan skin side down. Cook skin side down until skin becomes browned and crisp. Flip salmon and cook until sides become opaque. Remove from heat and place on cutting board.
- Add Chili sauce, Tonkatsu sauce, lemon juice, and butter to pan. Over low heat, cook until combined.
- Fluff rice with fork and add lemon zest to rice. Slice salmon into two portions. Divide rice between bowls and top with veggie mixture. Place salmon on top of veggies and drizzle, all over, with sauce. Garnish with cilantro and Lemon wedges.
- Tonkatsu Sauce, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, and Mirin can all be found in most supermarkets, in the International aisle, or in any Asian shop.
- This goes extremely well with a side of sauteed ginger, sesame, and garlic sugar snap peas or green beans.