Sausage and Pepper Risotto
A mild spicy blend of beef sausages and bell peppers in a rich tomato sauce.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 16 beef chipotle sausages (cut into small pieces)
- 2 small shallot onions (diced)
- 50 g of butter (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon each of dried parsley, chives and oregano
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 medium bell peppers (capsicums) preferably 1 red and 1 green cut into thin slices
- 1 tin (400 g) diced tomatoes
- 1 c water
- 1 cup arborio rice (I use basmati rice sometimes too works just as good)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1) Heat sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, let it heat up a few seconds and then add the cut up sausages, stir fry until they start browning.
- 2) Add the chopped onion and stir fry together with sausages in pan until the onions start to go clear. (Lower the heat if you need too).
- 3) Add butter, herbs and garlic. Stir through the sausages until the butter is melted and everything is stirred through.
- 4) Add the peppers and stir fry until just soft. Add can diced tomatoes and 1 cup of water.
- 5) stir through and then lower the heat to low and let simmer with lid on for about 15 minutes. Make sure to stir every few minutes to avoid mixture sticking.
- 6) Check water/sauce level, if the sauce is starting to be absorbed add another cup of water and let boil a few seconds. Add the rice and stir through. Put the lid back in and let simmer for a further 15 minutes. Check it constantly and stir occasionally.
- 7) once the rice is cook through. Serve warm with some Italian bread.
- If you have left overs you can store them in containers and use for lunch or dinner. (Can be frozen and heated up in the microwave)