Sherry's Instant Pot Version of Zuppa Toscana Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
I made a few edits to the original recipe (mild instead of hot Italian sausage, different potatoes, more garlic, water, and cream, etc.) and wrote my own directions for the Instant Pot. Per the recipe entry function in MyFitnessPal, this is 304 calories per cup.
- ½ pound bacon, chopped
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 TBSP red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 28 oz honey gold potatoes, scrubbed clean quartered
- 12 cups water, divided
- 3 TBSP Better than Bullion Organic Chicken Base
- 5-6 cups chopped kale (approximately, I did not measure)
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- With IP on sauté mode, cook bacon until crisp, set aside. Crumble in sausage and red pepper flakes, cook until almost done, then add onion and cook 3-4 minutes. Next add the garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Turn IP off. Add potatoes, 8 cups of water, and bullion. Lock lid in place, set knob to seal, set IP to manual 10 minutes. Let stay on keep warm mode for 15 minutes, then turn IP off and turn knob to venting. Once all pressure released, open lid and add kale and 4 additional cups of water. Set to sauté mode and cook 10-15 minutes to tenderize the kale. Turn off, once soup stops boiling, add cream. Serve with crumbled bacon.
- IP=Instant Pot. I used all organic ingredients for this. I guesstimated the cups of kale, it was 4 bunches of lacinato kale from earth fare. I can't remember the brand of potatoes, but they were organic...I threw the bag away before I did this.