Broccoli Sausage Pasta with Vegan Options
- 3 c. pasta (rotini or oreccheitti)
- 1 Tbs cooking oil
- 3/4 - 1 lb. ground pork or turkey, or 1 can white beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground corriander
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4-1 c of the pasta cooking water
- 1-2 Tbl butter or vegan substitute
- Parmesan cheese (or sub) to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. You are going to want a total of about 3/4-1 cup of the water the pasta cooked in, so don't drain it all away.
- Sautee the meat in oil and spices until browned in a large frying pan. If using beans, wait to add them.
- When the meat is browned, add the broccoli. Sautee for 2-3 minutes. Then add about 1/4 c of the pasta cooking water to the broccoli and cover. If you are using beans, add them before covering the pan.
- When the broccoli is tender, add another 1/2-3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water to the pan.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan. Stir in the butter and simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Serve and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Instead of spicing plain pork or turkey, you can use sweet Italian sausage.