Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast & Gravy
This is my take on the Mississippi Pot Roast, Instant Pot style
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp brown gravy mix, or Au Jus mix
- 2 Tbsp Ranch dressing mix
- 6 pepperoncinis (Greek pickled peppers)
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini juice
- 1/2 cup butter (1 cube), cut into four pieces
- Ingredients for the Gravy
- Meat drippings from cooked roast, fat separated
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup fat drippings from roast
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups milk
- Black pepper to taste
- Pat roast dry with paper towel.
- In Instant Pot pressure cooker, press SAUTE and ADJUST to saute hot setting. Allow pot to heat up until it says HOT. Add 2 Tbsp oil. Add pot roast and brown the roast on both sides for 10 minutes each, using tongs to flip roast after the first 10 minutes.
- While roast is browning on the second side, sprinkle 2 Tbsp Ranch dressing mix over roast. Then, sprinkle roast with 2 Tbsp brown gravy mix.
- Once the roast has finished its second side browning, top with pepperoncini peppers then pour 1/2 cup pepperoncini juice into pot. Place butter pats in around the roast.
- Close the lid, making sure the pressure release valve is closed. Press the Meat program button, and adjust the time to 40 minutes. The pot should reach pressure within 10-15 minutes.
- Once the pot reaches pressure, it will begin counting down. Once it has finished it's cooking program, it will beep, then allow roast to remain in pot for 20 minutes NPR, for a natural pressure release. Release any pressure left at that time, removing roast to a platter and covering with foil. The roast's temperature should be 180 degrees f or above if you want a roast that is tender and almost falls apart.
- Making gravy: Pour remaining pan juices into a fat separator or 2 cup measuring cup. Spoon 4 Tbsp of the top fat layer back into the pot. If using measuring cup, use a ladle to spoon off remaining top layer of fat and discard.
- Press the Saute button, and add 1/4 cup flour. Cook this fat and flour roux for two to three minutes, stirring until it begins to brown. Return the rest of the meat juices slowly (avoiding adding any more of the fat layer), whisking until it thickens. Add 1 1/2 - 2 cups of milk and whisk until it thickens again, another 4-5 minutes. Add pepper to taste.
- Serve roast with mashed potatoes and the gravy.
- This is my take on the recipe, Instant Pot style Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes (by Jeannine Ross)
- No additional salt is needed as the Brown Gravy Mix and the Ranch Dressing Mix has plenty.