Grandma Helen's Fried Chicken
- Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour
- Real butter
- Soak the chicken for 1 hour in salt water to clean it. About 1/4 cup salt to 2 gallons water than drain it good and than put a few pieces at a time in a gallon baggie with the kk powder and shake off some and put in frying pan half real butter and half shortening.
- Cook chicken in hot oil medium high heat (5 on knob) skin sides down, covered, about 3 minutes reduce heat to low. Turn chicken skin sides up.
- Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs).
- Pepper to taste while frying.