Forbidden Rice Bowl
- 1 Cup Forbidden Black Rice - Uncooked
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Safflower Oil
- 2 to 3 Sprigs Lemon Thyme (or regular Thyme)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Handfuls Baby Spinach
- 1 - 15 oz Can Dark Red Kidney Beans - Drained and Rinsed
- Capers - For Garnish
- Crumbled Feta Cheese - For Garnish
- Prepare the rice according to package directions.
- Whisk together lemon juice, safflower oil, just the leaves from the thyme, salt, and pepper until emulsified, set aside.
- Line a baking pan with foil and spray it with cooking oil. Chop the zucchini into bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the zucchini in a single layer on the prepared pan and broil on high for 3 to 5 minutes, or low, for 8 to 10. Just until they start to get little charred spots.
- Cool for a minute or two, then toss with half the lemon thyme vinaigrette.
- Toss the kidney beans with the remaining vinaigrette and assemble.
- Place 1/2 handful of spinach in the bottom of the bowl, layer rice, zucchini, and beans (you can warm them for a minute or two in a microwave safe container if you want).
- Garnish with feta and capers, and enjoy!