Fruity Home-Made Frozen Yogurt
Quick-to-make froyo in a blender
- 1 cup/tin frozen fruit (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, banana + peanut butter, peach, apricot, mango...)
- 1 cup strained whole-milk yogurt, chilled
- 10% honey, or syrup from tinned fruit
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste
- 10 percent cream, for creaminess
- 10 percent caster sugar, if not using fruit with juice
- Optional toppings:
- Fresh berries
- Chopped nuts
- Freeze the canned or fresh fruit overnight (reduces freezing time).
- Use Greek yogurt, or strain whole-milk yogurt through cheese cloth and a colander for at least 2 hours or overnight (removes water). Chill the yogurt in the freezer for 30 minutes before use (reduces freezing time).
- Before opening the can, soak the can in hot tap water for a minute (loosens the fruit).
- Blend the yogurt and fruit together with vanilla extract and honey or caster sugar. More sugar simprove consistency of the result.
- Blend until smooth and transfer to a shallow container or Ziploc bag to freeze.
- Every 30-40 minutes smoosh the bag or use a fork to smooth our the the mixture, until frozen after about 2 hours.
- Remove from the freezer 5 minutes prior to serving, to given time to soften.
- The honey helps to prevent crystallization on freezing.
- Starting with frozen + nearly-frozen ingredients helps it freeze faster, with fewer crystals.
- When using canned citrus + syrup the texture will be icier, like granita.