Instant Pot Whole Chicken
This is the rub from Damn Delicious' Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken and my own method.
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and wipe it dry (I try not to rinse it, but you might want to make sure it's not frozen if it came from the freezer at some point).
- Make the rub mix and cut the lemon.
- Cover the chicken in the rub, all over, both sides, inside the cavity too.
- Put the lemon halves inside the cavity.
- Place the wire rack in the instant pot, and add the one cup water to the bottom of the pot.
- Place the chicken on the rack, put the top on the pot and cook on High Pressure for 25 minutes.
- When it's done, quick release and then test the temperature. If it's close, you can proceed. If not, put the top back on and cook for another 5 or ten minutes, depending on how close to temp it is.
- Once it's done, remove the chicken from the pot, set on a cutting board or in a bowl.
- Reserve the broth that the chicken made, you'll be using it for gravy. *
- Rinse out the pot and make sure there's nothing stuck to the bottom.
- Put the air fryer stack in the pot, spray the stack with cooking spray. Put the chicken on the stack. (I took out the top rack and put it on the bottom one). Drizzle with olive or vegetable oil.
- Using the Air Fryer lid, set it to cook for 10 minutes and check to see if it's crispy enough. If not, put the lid back on and go another 10.
- *While it's crisping up, make the gravy.
- Pour the broth into a small pan and bring to a boil. Let it boil for a few minutes, add some pepper if you wish. Sprinkle in about a tablespoon of flour while whisking like crazy. Let it cook for a few minutes to cook the flour. Mine was still lumpy so I ended up straining it.