Baked Macaroni and Gouda Cheese with Italian Sausage
I believe this one came from Bon Appetit back in the day, but I'm not sure.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, uncooked with casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions , caramelized
- 1 quart whole milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 ⁄4 lb gouda cheese , aged preferred (about 4 cups grated)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, about 11 minutes (or as directed on package).
- Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to a large bowl and wipe the saucepan clean.
- Add the pasta and 1 cup caramelized onions to the sausage and stir to combine.
- In a medium saucepan or a microwave oven, heat the milk until steaming.
- Return the large saucepan to the stove, add the butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the hot milk, 1/4 cup at a time, and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick and comes to a simmer.
- Add 2 1/2 cups cheese, remove from the heat and whisk until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pasta mixture and stir to combine.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and add the pasta mixture in an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup caramelized onions and 1 1/2 cups cheese on top.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- I had created a revised version of this using margarine and 1% milk but I can't believe it was very good, so I deleted it and am using this one.