Vegan Breakfast Cookies
Servings: Makes about 20 cookies
- 2oog gluten free rolled oats
- 50g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 flax eggs*
- 225g smooth almond butter
- 120ml maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 75g dried fruit, such as sultanas, cranberries or chopped apricots
- 50g hulled hemp seeds
- 35g pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 35g sunflower seeds, chopped
- *For two flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons warm water. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes to form an egg like consistency.
- Prepare the flax eggs as described above.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/175ºC. Line two large baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (oats, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt, dried fruit).
- In a saucepan, melt the almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla whisking until smooth. Add the flax egg.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix everything until the mixture resembles a cookie dough.
- If the dough is too sticky to handle, refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes to firm up slightly.
- Add an ice cream sized scoop of dough onto the prepared baking sheet spacing them about 1 inch apart. Leave them in round hummocks or lightly flatten the top of each cookie with your hands or a fork.
- Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray then use a spatula to carefully transfer them to a cooling rack.