Here's My Philly Cheesesteak Cast-Iron Skillet Casserole Recipe. About 600 Calories and 3 Net Carbs Per Serving. Full Recipe in Comments
Servings: Makes 8 servings.
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1.5lb steak, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 tbsp salt & 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1/2 white onion, sliced into strips
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 eggs
- 15 slices provolone cheese
- Optional garnish: 1 bushel bunch green onions, diced
- Thinly slice green peppers then halve them into 1″ inch strips. Repeat for onion.
- Mince your garlic.
- Optionally, dice your green onions for garnish.
- Finely slice steak into strips.
- Combine eggs and cream in large bowl and fork-whisk until frothy.
- Measure out your salt, pepper, and oil. Set aside all ingredients.
- Cooking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet on High heat for 2-5 minutes until it shimmers and pops.
- Add your steak and sear for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook another 1-2 minutes until they soften.
- Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Turn off heat.
- Stir in your egg and cream mixture.
- Cover with provolone cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Optionally, you can garnish the casserole with green onions before serving. Recipe requires cast-iron skillet or some other type of oven-safe skillet.
- Shopping Notes
- Thin steaks 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick are best. Ribeye or sirloin cuts work well.
- Get medium to high heat tolerant oil. I used safflower oil because it was on sale.
- Heavy whipping cream is typically hiding near the milk somewhere.
- Save time with pre-minced garlic and/or pre-sliced peppers and onions.