Philly Style Soft Pretzles
Servings: Makes 6 pretzles
- 3/4 C warm water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 C white whole wheat flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1/2 C oat flour
- 2 T baking soda
- Topping of choice, salt, onion flakes, poppy seed, caraway seed, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast
- In a large bowl mix together warm water, yeast maple syrup and flours. Stir till dough forms large clump with elastic feel. Divide dough into 6 clumps about the size of an egg and form them into balls. Place them back into bowl and cover with a damp towel and let the dough balls rise for at least 25 minutes.
- Perheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add baking soda.
- On a lightly floured surface knead each dough ball and roll into a rope 12 to 18 inches long. Form a pretzle shape or any other shape you wish. Place the pretzle onto a slotted spoon and place into boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove the pretzle with the slotted spoon and place onto the baking sheet. While still damp, sprinkle with toppings.
- Repeat for all the balls of dough.
- When all the pretzles have been boiled and topped, bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Best served hot. (But are actually pretty good the next day).