tender greens with a clean citrus tang
- 3 strips Bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 Onion (sweet), chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, crushed or diced
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 lbs Greens, stemmed and sliced or chopped
- 2 Cups Broth (any)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook lardons over medium-high heat, until crisp.
- Set bacon aside, keeping the fat in the pot.
- Add onion to pan and sauté until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Use extra oil, if needed.
- Add garlic, lemon zest (not juice), and red pepper flakes.
- Sauté until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add greens and stir, carefully, to combine with the other ingredients.
- As they cook, the greens will begin to wilt, making more room in the pot.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once it boils, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer until greens are tender (about 45 minutes).
- Uncover and add bacon pieces.
- Cook on medium-high for a few minutes to reduce liquid.
- Remove from heat.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.