Semi's Spaghetti Sauce
Servings: approximately 8 to 12 servings
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey meat (or ground beef)
- 1 pound bulk turkey Italian sausage (or pork Italian sausage if using ground beef) **I make homemade turkey sausage, see the notes.
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon ground savory
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 29oz. can tomato puree *** (or 10 to 12 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 29oz. can tomato sauce *** (or 10 to 12 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 29oz. cans water (fill each can half full swish the water around in them and add it to the sauce in the pot)
- HALF RECIPE (serves 4 to 6)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon ground savory
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can filled with water
- 1. Heat olive oil add onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir for 10 minutes. add ground meats into the onion mixture Cook and crumble meat until browned and cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir Italian seasoning, salt, rosemary, oregano, and black pepper into ground meat mixture; simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Pour water, tomato puree, and tomato paste into ground beef-sausage mixture; simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat until flavors have combined, at least 2 hours.
- this Freezes really well. I like to try to keep some in the freezer. not easy since every time someone finds it they eat it!
- ***If using Fresh tomatoes, cut the added water down to 1/2 to 1 can in place of two
- here are two homemade Italian sausage recipes you can try if you like.
- or this one