A spreadable soft cheese made from soy milk. Ingredients from the Non-Dairy Evolution. Method is my own simplified method.
Servings: 1.5 c
- 1 c. soy milk (unsweetened)
- 3 Tbl tapioca starch (aka tapioca flour)
- 1 tsp kappa carageenan
- .75 tsp salt
- 1 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp white miso (optional; adds more flavor)
- 1/3 c refined coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp vinegar
- Add tapioca and carageenan to pan of cold soymilk. Heat and stir until dissolved.
- Add salt, yeast, and miso. (Thin miso with1 Tbl. soy milk first.)
- Add melted coconut oil and stir thoroughly.
- Heat and stir until temp reaches 175F or pulls away from sides.
- Add lemon juice and/or vinegar. Stir briskly.
- Immediately pour into 2c mold and chill.
- Order kappa carageenan online. There are different types; be sure you get kappa.
- Using 3 tsp (1 Tbl) carageenan and 1/2 c coconut oil will make this firm enough to slice.
- If you don't use miso, use 1 tsp salt instead of 3/4 tsp.