Instant Pot Brown Rice & Pearl Barley
~by Josie Smythe
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 1 cup Pearl Barley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1T butter
- 2tsp salt (optional)
- Rinse rice & barley well; drain
- Put all ingredients into the liner.
- Stir & make sure all the rice & barley is submerged in the liquid.
- Cook on High Pressure (Manual or Pressure Cook function) for 22 minutes;
- 15 min Natural Pressure Release.
- Remove lid & stir.
- If it's still a little wet put the lid back on & let it sit
- in the residual heat in the pot for a few more minutes.
- -You can use Brown Basmati, Brown Jasmine or Long Grain Brown Rice.
- -I use homemade chicken broth that is low in sodium.
- If you use broth with a lot of sodium you can omit the salt.
- -I use a 1:1 ratio of grains to liquid.
- I use half barley & half rice, the liquid amount is equal to the total amount of rice+barley.
- So you can do:
- 1/2 cup rice + 1/2 cup barley and 1 cup broth.
- 1 cup rice + 1 cup barley and 2 cups broth.
- 1.5 cups rice + 1.5 cups barley and 3 cups broth.
- -Freezes well.
- -Made in a 6qt Instant Pot.