Instant Pot Spicy Black-Eyed Peas
~by Josie Smythe
- 1 lb dry black-eyed peas
- 1 lb ham, cut up
- 1T bacon fat (or oil)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers, diced
- 2 T adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Rinse black-eyed peas & set aside.
- Turn on Saute function & wait for it to display "HOT"
- Add the bacon fat & let it melt.
- Add ham, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chipotle peppers & adobo sauce
- to the pot and saute for a few minutes.
- Add broth & scrape any stuck on food off the bottom of the pot to prevent a Burn message.
- Add black-eyed peas & bay leaves; stir.
- Put lid on pot & make sure vent is in the Sealing position.
- Cook on Manual (or Pressure Cook) / High Pressure for 20 minutes;
- 15 minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Quick Release any remaining pressure.
- When the float valve drops down remove the lid.
- Stir the black eyed peas & remove the bay leaves.
- I used homemade chicken broth that is very low in sodium.
- If using canned broth you may want to decrease or omit the salt.
- You can adjust or omit the cayenne pepper, chipotle peppers & adobe sauce if you don't want them spicy.