Pan-roasted carrots and parsnips
- Three medium carrots, cut into 1/4” sticks
- An equal amount of parsnips, cut the same size
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c water
- In a frying pan with a lid, sauté the carrots and parsnips in the olive oil until they are sizzling and just starting to brown.
- Sprinkle the salt over.
- Quickly: Add the garlic and give a quick stir. Don’t let the garlic burn.
- Immediately add the water, and put the lid on to catch the steam.
- Cook for about 5 minutes. Ideally, the roots will be cooked just about the time the water boils away completely.
- Uncover and cook a couple minutes longer, letting all the water boil away. The roots should start to caramelize, but don’t let them burn.
- Technique is everything on this dish. Other root veg and cauliflower would also take nicely to this preparation.