Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe (January newsletter)
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese and chopped fresh basil, for serving (optional but delicious)
- Add the tomatoes, broth, oregano, basil, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder and quinoa to the insert of a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot (or other electric or stovetop pressure cooker) and stir well.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes (on an Instant Pot, select Manual and dial up or down to 10; it will start automatically).
- When finished cooking, let the pressure cooker naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release the rest of the pressure (if it splatters through the vent/valve, put a damp washcloth on top or wait another few minutes).
- Add the Parmesan cheese; give the soup a good stir and season to taste with salt and pepper. At this point, you can thin the soup with additional broth, if desired (the soup will thicken as it cools).
- Serve topped with shredded mozzarella and basil, if desired.