Trout tartare with browned butter and pistachios
- 1 shallot, sliced paper thin
- 2 lemons: zest finely to get 2 tsp, juice to get 2.5 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Flaked sea salt & black pepper
- 4 trout fillets, skinless, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp slivered pistachios, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- Place shallot in a small bowl with 2 tbsp of lemon juice/sugar/salt/pepper. Massage with your fingers & set aside.
- Put the fish into separate small bowl with oil, lemon zest, 2 tsp of lemon juice, 1.5 tsp flaked salt and pepper. Stir and set aside for 30 mins - not longer, or the fish will overcook.
- Before serving, put the butter and cumin seeds into a small pan and place over med heat. Melt the butter gently for about 5 mins, swirling the pan from time to time, until the butter begins to foam, turn brown, smell nutty and is caramelized.
- Divide the trout among four dishes and top with the shallot (discarding any liquid). Sprinkle with pistachios and tarragon and drizzle with the cumin seed-browned butter. Finish with a sprinkle of flaked salt and serve.
- Ottolenghi Simple