Recipe by Jan Borden Freeman
- 1 ⅓ c sugar
- 1 ½ c cold water
- 1 c ground raisins
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t allspice
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ¼ t salt
- 2 T butter
- 1 c chopped walnuts
- 2 c flour
- 2 t soda
- Place sugar, water, raisins, carrots, spices, and butter in a saucepan (3-4 quart size).
- Boil slowly for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely (Do Not Use While Still Warm. It will be a gummy mess).
- To the cool saucepan add nuts, flour, salt, and soda. Stir quickly and pour into Prepared pan of your choice. (Grease/butter/spray/parchment paper)
- I use my 7" Fat Daddio cheesecake pan with removable bottom. Line the bottom w/parchment paper. Pour in batter.
- Pour 1-2 cups water into IP liner. Place cake pan on trivet, using foil sling, close and lock lid, seal vent, manual - high pressure, 60 min, 10 min NPR, then QR. Use toothpick test. If it comes out clean then its done.
- Remove pan carefully from IP liner. Remove bread from pan to wire rack.
- When bread has cooled, wrap tightly and wait a day, so it has time for the flavors to mellow.
- Old family recipe from my Great Aunt Helen Mudge from Escondido, CA. Recipe makes one loaf. She would bake in conventional oven at 325* for 1 1/4 hours. I baked it under pressure and it turned out pretty good.