Instant Pot Spicy Black-Eyed Peas
~by Josie Smythe
- 1 lb dry black-eyed peas
- 1/2 lb pork belly, fat cap removed & cut up
- 1/2 lb ham, cut up
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers, diced
- 2 T adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers
- 5 bayleaves
- 6 cups broth
- Rinse black-eyed peas & set aside.
- Saute the pork belly & ham in batches until browned .
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chipotle peppers & adobo sauce
- to the pot with the meat and saute for a few minutes.
- Add broth, black-eyed peas & bay leaves; stir.
- Cook on Manual (or Pressure Cook)/High Pressure for 30 minutes;
- 15 minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Open pot, stir & remove the bay leaves.
- *Pork belly & ham amounts are guesstimates, I didn't weigh mine.
- Add as much pork/ham as you want. You can also use just pork, ham or bacon, or omit the meat.
- I used chicken broth but you could also use ham broth or vegetable broth.