Vegetable Curry Stew
- Minimum amount of cooking oil or olive oil
- 1 small Onion, quartered, stem intact
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups Choice of vegetables, potato, sweet potato, broccoli, squash, carrot, cauliflower, bell peppers, spinach, etc. Bite sized. Potatoes or sweet potatoes highly suggested for the starch to improve sauce.
- Curry paste, Thai Red Curry Paste is my favorite, all have different flavors, amount varies on brand and desired spiciness, 2 tablespoons to start, up to 8 tablespoons
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk, shake well, don't use carton coconut milk
- Fresh chili, if desired, Thai chili is best. Use whole.
- 1 package tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 cup water or unsalted stock, vegetable stock preferred
- Cooked basmati rice or Asian noodles for serving.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the quartered onion, allow to "toast" getting brown on each side. at least 5 minutes, add the garlic for the last minute, allow the garlic to brown lightly, too dark will cause bitterness. Add the curry past. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Cook until curry paste begins to dry up, stirring constantly coating the onion and garlic.
- Add any hard vegetables, ones that take longer to cook, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Add whole chili if you want. Stir well, coating the first vegetables with the curry base. Add 1 can of coconut milk, stir, slowly bring to simmer, cover, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Once the hard vegetables are tender, add any quicker cooking vegetables, trying to time the vegetables so all cook without over cooking. Add tofu and water or preferably veggie stock if needed for desired consistency. Thick sauce is good, thinner is good too. Suit yourself. Stir and cook for about 7 minutes. Cooking times will vary depending on vegetable sizes.
- Serve beside or over rice or noodles.