Vegan meal rounded out with fresh tomatoes and seasoned corn
- 2 thick slices of cabbage and olive oil for cooking
- 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans
- Two ribs celery, sliced
- ½ Large sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Two ears corn, not shucked
- Dry sauté onions and celery until almost translucent, add garlic and let cook for a minute before adding beans. Let heat through and pour into a microwave safe bowl and cover with a lid or plate to keep warm.
- Wipe out pan and return to heat. Add a couple tablespoons olive oil and brown cabbage steaks on both sides.
- Meanwhile, put corn in microwave and cook for about 4-1/2 to 5 minutes and let sit to finish cooking.
- Slice tomatoes and put on plates.
- Put your favorite seasoning for corn into a dipping bowl, add a small amount of liquid to make a thin paste. We like using Penzey's Arizona. A chipolte chili powder is tasty too! Set on table with a small brush.
- Cut fat end off corn, grab narrow end, twist and pull husk off. sometimes this works, and sometimes one must peel like a banana. Set an ear of corn on each plate.
- By now the cabbage should be done, so put one slice on each plate, topped by a big scoop of pintos.
- Serve with salt and pepper.