Instant Pot Kalua Turkey by Rich Lum
Hawaiian Style Turkey using a 6 qt IP
- 1 ten to twelve pound turkey thawed
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- 2-3 Tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
- 6 Ti leaves cleaned and spines removed
- Remove backbone, wings and tail ( reserve for making broth)
- Cut off the legs and thighs, split the breast
- Sprinkle each piece with liquid smoke and rub it in
- Sprinkle the turkey with Hawaiian sea salt
- Place the pieces into gallon zip bags and let it maranate in the fridge for 3 hours or for better results...overnight
- Line the bottom of your pot with 3-4 ti leaves, add 1 cup of water plus 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke.
- Layer you turkey into the pot, cover turkey with 3-4 ti leaves
- Close and seal your pot
- Set you pot to manual 35 minutes with a 10 minute NPR .. The time depends on the amount of turkey your cooking
- Remove the skin and pull the meat off the bones. Save the bones to make broth.
- You could use Banana leaves which can be found in the freezer section in Asian markets. You could also omit them altogether.
- Serve with Hawaiian Mac Salad, Poi, Lomi Salmon