Meat Pie and Vegetable Pie
A delicious hearty meal. Using quality beef mince and winter vegetables.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 sheet short crust pastry
- ( I used store bought pastry but you can make your own)
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 tablespoon margerine
- 500g premium quality beef mince
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 medium stalks of celery diced
- 2 medium zucchini diced
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 tablespoon of corn flour
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 ½ tablespoons of smoky bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chopped chives (dried)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley (dried)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1) spray cooking spray onto a square 20cm pie dish and lay the first sheet of short crust pastry on the pie dish. Set aside
- 2) heat a heavy based frying pan on medium heat. Melt the tablespoon of margerine in the pan. When bubbling add the diced vegetables. Stir fry and soft.
- 3) add the beef mince to the pan and stir fry until brown.
- 4) Add the tablespoon of cornflour to the cold water and stir. Add to mince and vegetables, mix thoroughly.
- 5) crumble the stock cube over the meat and vegetables mix and stir through completely. Add salt and pepper, herbs and bbq sauce, mix through and let simmer gently on low heat for 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally.
- 6) once sauce has thickened and meat and vegetables are cooked through. Mix the through again and pour mixture into pastry line dish.
- 7) cover with puff pastry and trim sides. Press edges together. Using a fork poke holes randomly through crust to allow air to escape.
- 8) bake at 180 degrees Celsius or 160 degrees Celsius for fan forced oven for 1/2 hour.
- 9) take out and let cool slightly before serving.
- 10) serve with a salad of sweet potatoes, string beans and feta.
- To make gluten free use gluten free pastry and corn flour